April 1, 2011

Bright Pink Rhubarb


I contemplated opening this with a "crickets" reference, but instead I'll just apologize right off the bat for the lack of posting. An unfortunate early-spring cold has me reeling, and I've spent too many hours in bed or on the couch.

About all I've been able to muster in the kitchen is this delightfully bright pink rhubarb conserve. It's as simple as it gets, and a lovely harbinger of spring. Just dice rhubarb stalks, put in a pot with the juice of half a lemon and sugar to taste (start with 1/4 c.), and simmer until the rhubarb breaks down into little strings.

Let it cool, and then try not to stand over it with a spoon, devouring the entire batch of sweet-yet-still-tart, lemon-tinged deliciousness. If you manage to do this, it's wonderful spread on toast the next day or stirred into vanilla yogurt or ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...