May 30, 2013

Summer's Almost Here - With a Heatwave!


It's been already awfully warm for May, hasn't it? And now we're supposed to get 90 degree humid weather for the next four days here in Boston! Just thinking about it makes me start sweating. The only relief I'm getting is thinking of all the farmers' markets starting soon and how I can't wait to get my hands on peaches like these beauties from The Comfort of Cooking! (Check out her blog when you get a chance, she has amazing recipes and lovely photos.) I'm looking forward to apricots, Shiro plums (they have sweet flesh but very tart skins - and a really short season!), gooseberries, currants, and blueberries as well from local farms.

Another consolation is that the mild temperatures have allowed us to plant our garden a little earlier than usual. We've already got lettuce, beets, radishes, and peas in the ground! I was planning on seeding the flower garden this weekend, but I'll probably have to hope that next weekend is cooler and wait until then. So far in that garden, we have a lot of red currants ripening. They're safely protected by netting so we don't share them with all the birds in the area! Last year they ate all but two or three before we got a chance to cover them.

If you're having hot weather as well, I hope you stay cool. And if not, get out and enjoy the cool spring air before summer comes!



No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...