October 22, 2013

Homemade Apple Crisp



It's not officially fall to me until I've baked apple crisp! When the nights turned really chilly last week, it was finally the perfect weather for this warm, sweet, and crunchy dessert.




I usually use all Northern Spies or Macouns, but this time I went with half Spies and half Opalescents (another great baking apple). To make up for all the butter in this, I use whole wheat flour instead of white. That makes it healthy, right?...

In all honesty, I mostly use whole wheat flour for the extra nuttiness it gives the crisp. Try it for yourself, I think you'll like it better this way as well!

I also use more spice than you see in most crisp recipes. I just can't get enough of fall and winter flavors like ginger, nutmeg, and cardamom in my baked goods! I increase the amount of apples as well - the recipe originally called for only 4 cups, but I use 6 to 8 cups instead since I like a thicker apple layer. Use whatever you like, this recipe is very flexible!

Amy's Homemade Apple Crisp
(Adapted from Betty Crocker. Serves 6.)

6 - 8 cups sliced apples (I get about 6 from four large apples)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar, light or dark
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled (not quick) oats
1/3 cup butter, softened
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Grease an 8 inch pan if using 6 cups of apples, or a 9 x 13 inch pan if using 8 cups, and preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

2. In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, flour, oats, spices, and salt. Cut in the butter using a pastry cutter or two knives until the mixtures resembles medium-sized peas.

3. Spread your sliced apples in the greased baking dish. Evenly spread the topping over them.

4. Bake for 30 minutes if you like your apples to still be firm, or 40 - 45 minutes if you like them softer. (I usually go with 40 minutes, it seems to be just right!) Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...