June 17, 2014

An Update, Of Sorts


Needless to say, it's been a busy few months around here! The little guy is constantly moving (and eating!). 

I haven't really done much in the way of crafting, although I did have a long string of started-then-unraveled knitting projects. Trying to correctly follow patterns while insanely sleep-deprived and barely coherent is not a good idea. I think I tried one pattern at least three times before I gave up amid tears of frustration. Okay, they were more like tears of not remembering what sleeping is like, but the emotions all kind of blend together in the early months.

Mostly, lately, I've been baking here and there in an attempt to make the best of late spring's first fruits. I'll admit that I can never get enough rhubarb! All winter long I dream of its appearance at the market, a bright ruby and chartreuse contrast to the snowy landscape's whites and grays.

This year, I've vowed to make as many different things with the scarlet stalks as possible instead of sticking to my trademark (although still delicious) stewed rhubarb spooned over Greek yogurt.

So far, I've made these Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp Bars from Smitten Kitchen, this Rhubarb Syrup for Italian sodas without the mint from OrganicGardening, and this Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake from Martha Stewart. They all came out well, but the syrup and upside-down cake were my favorites. The latter, which is more like a coffee cake than a traditional cake, is so moist (gross word, but accurate description) with an almost creamy texture from the sour cream. It was even better on the second day, a rarity for baked goods.

Are you a rhubarb fiend as well? What have you been baking lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...