July 4, 2013

Happy Fourth of July!


Here's wishing a Happy Fourth of July to all of you in America! I hope you have a day/weekend filled with red white and blue, fireworks, barbecues, rocket popsicles, and parades.

I'll confess: I don't really decorate for Independence Day. It's one of my favorite holidays, but I always want to do something different than little flags and bunting everywhere. I love both of those things, but I'm always looking for something that's more classic Americana and that could be displayed year-round.

Some of these items might just do the trick! I like the vintage charm and classic look of these wooden pallet star signs by RusticDesigns1. They'd look great on top of a mantel, over a couch, or even hanging on a porch by the door. I just can't decide if I'd want one color, or all three. Tough decision! You could easily DIY your own version as well. Just take a square or rectangle piece of wood (or strips of wood nailed together), varnish or stain it with your choice of color, then stencil a star in the middle with red, blue, or white acrylic paint. Let dry, and hang!



I've been obsessed with barn stars like these vintage iron ones by Becaruns for ages. If you walk around the older parts of Boston, you can see original ones from the colonial days still attached to the sides of old brick buildings in the city. They remind me of our patriotic and historic past.


July 4th wouldn't be complete without some stars and stripes! This flag by PassedBy is a vintage one, featuring only 48 stars (from before Alaska and Hawaii joined the union). It's discolored a bit with age, but I think that only adds to its loveliness.

I'd like to take a minute to thank all those who have served in the military, risking their lives to protect our country, and to remember family members and ancestors who have served but who are no longer with us.

Again, I hope you all have a wonderful holiday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...